Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just been requested by FI (AIG )underwriters to produce an NCT or engineers report for my 76 beetle if I want to
    put it back on cover for this year, on the same policy as my T25 thats already on cover.

Been told its a new thing..

Anyone else??
    If you are thinking of getting into owning a Fastback, or want to know where to look in buying a Fastback, or want to know what to pay or not pay for a fastback, then pm me.

I,ll give you a tour of your worst case scenario, I,ll give you advice, and pointers in making your own panels, or the best place to get those hard to get panels, and above all honesty always.

Comment

quickest, cheapest, easiest solution would to submit it for a voluntary NCT.
      There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Comment

True, but just curious to see if this is the new rules for classic insurance, or just with FI
        If you are thinking of getting into owning a Fastback, or want to know where to look in buying a Fastback, or want to know what to pay or not pay for a fastback, then pm me.

I,ll give you a tour of your worst case scenario, I,ll give you advice, and pointers in making your own panels, or the best place to get those hard to get panels, and above all honesty always.

Comment

Was the car off policy for a while or a request on a standard renewal?

Comment

Someone else on the facebook page said they had the same issue with FI and they switched to Carol Nash and had no issue
            77 Late Bay Westfalia 2.0 "Olly"

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Comment

Originally posted by RattyOval View Post
              Was the car off policy for a while or a request on a standard renewal?
              Car was off policy for about 6 months, and i decided recently to put it back on.
              I asked why the requirement for a test when asked, and was told it was a relatively new requirement of AIG underwriters.
              Which basically means if its something that classic insurance is now going to require, its compulsory testing no matter
              who enforces it , government or insurance underwriters..

Not that i have anything against testing, I just wanted to know if any one else had the same request.

Comment

Originally posted by trev View Post
                quickest, cheapest, easiest solution would to submit it for a voluntary NCT.
                Why would you do that vintage and classic cars are still exempt from testing. there has been no change in the law and insurance companies do not set our laws
                Insurance companies already rip us off at every turn why continue to bow down to them .
                There was uproar when the RSA tried to underhandedly bring in an NCT for classics .an NCT which AXA even said was unnecessary
                The RSA had to submit the idea to a public consultation to which we have not yet had an answer from the minister
                But if I remember correctly the EU stated that if no test had been introduced before 2017 then countries could keep there existing system ( 1979 cut off in Ireland case )or they were talking of introducing a rolling 30 year exemption across Europe .. Even if a test had been introduced for classics and vintage cars within the time frame the EU directive stated that it would have to comply with the test that was present in your country when your car was new .as Ireland did not have vehicle testing until around 2002 our cars would still be exempt .
                If first Ireland have started asking for NCTs on our cars then its about time the club looked for another company to deal with .
                Saying that if the insurance company ask you for a test you must provide one is entirely wrong that's just another case of them making up their own rules .

Comment

Hi. Already a member but had to reregister, as forget all my log in details. I have a VW 1978 green bay camper. Just got a letter from first Ireland re my renewal insurance quote. They want me to reregister my camper as a private vehicle or they won't insure me. Just wondering has anybody else had this experience, They are saying my camper is a commercial vehicle and they now are only going to insure private vehicles. Cheers. Seán.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
                    Hi. Already a member but had to reregister, as forget all my log in details. I have a VW 1978 green bay camper. Just got a letter from first Ireland re my renewal insurance quote. They want me to reregister my camper as a private vehicle or they won't insure me. Just wondering has anybody else had this experience, They are saying my camper is a commercial vehicle and they now are only going to insure private vehicles. Cheers. Seán.
                    Is it reg'd as commercial (N1?) van, or as a camper?

I believe in angles. Δ

Comment

To be honest with you, I'm not sure. All I remember the when I registered it at the VRT Office in Tallaght, they were very unpleasant and after getting my registration back I think what was on it was make unspecified and a few other non related things, after me telling them all about it. They inspected it and charged me something like 400 euro. It was about 12 or more years ago. When home I'll check registration and see exactly what's on it. What should I be looking for to make it right. Thanks Sean.

Comment

If it was imported before 2008 (before it was 30 years old) they may have classified it as a commercial and charged the reduced VRT rate based on this class, but the van should be registered in class M1 (cat A) and not N1 (cat B).
                        Not sure if you now need to get it re-classified as camper ( http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/veh....html#section2 ) Sorry.

I believe in angles. Δ

Comment

Not reclassified as vintage and to hell with all the other classifications?
                          There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Comment

I spoke with First Ireland this week as had to increase millage on my policy (which they did for free).

I'm up for renewal next month so was told, If the log book identifies the vehicle as a camper or private then their policy will cover, if it's commercial or a conversion, then they no longer will.

Carol Nash gave me a quote of 640e and when I said bollix...First Ireland was 195e, they dropped theirs to 190e.

190e was on a van that had to be over 30yrs old, and with a cvrt test. If the van was test exempt then they would need an engineers report.

Comment

I remember waaay back in 2004ish needing an engineer's report on my van too. For Carole Nash also as it happens. It had just turned vintage age, was a fresh import too so I thought it wasn't an unreasonable request at the time.

Comment

Change it to vintage for tax and its not a commercial any more
                                Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X