Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guten Tag aus Cork

Howdy all,

I recently signed up with the possibility of becoming a future Beetle owner. I have yet to experience aircooled VW ownership but I do have good experience of VW's and aircooled of sorts. I shall explain ! I have owned several VW's over the years, such as Golf GTI Mk2's, Corrado 16v, T4 Transporter and, currently in the driveway, sits a '04 T5 1.9 TDI campervan:

My experience of aircooled relates to aircooled boxer motors of another variety - BMW twin cylinders (affectionately known as Airheads):

(The above bike currently being restored by myself):

It's garage comrade - a 1982 R100:

I grew up in the 70's in a household where VW's were the norm: many Beetles, a 1500S notchback and several Karmann Ghia's (RIN 921 where are you now ?). Anybody here remember the British magazine VW Safer Motoring ? I still have some copies of these in the attic !
    Anyway, that's me. Looking forward using the forum in the future.

Mark.

Welcome Mark!! you're in good company, we have plenty of T5 owners among us too.
    Got any photos of the old family VWs?
    There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Comment

Originally posted by trev View Post
      Welcome Mark!! you're in good company, we have plenty of T5 owners among us too.
      Got any photos of the old family VWs?
      Thanks for the welcome Trev ! I would have old photos of my fathers Beetles alright I'd say. It was my eldest brother that had the Ghia's but he passed away two year ago so I have no access his photos. I'll see what I can dig out !
      I meant to say, I did a bike trip to Wolfsburg last May and did the museum visit. Well worth a visit - it took us hours to take it all in. I've some photos of that too.

Comment

good stuff Mark, look forward to the pics. Sorry to hear about your brother. A man of impeccable taste by the sound of it!
        There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Comment

Well he got me into motors of all sorts but VW's featured mainly ! His last Ghia was RIN 921 - red with cream roof, houndstooth seats, LHD and was bought from a Swiss doctor living in Kenmare, if I remember correctly. One of the other Ghias was GEI --- but I cannot remember the digits now.
          I'm toying with the idea of going after a Beetle, preferably from the 60's or perhaps very early '70's. But I want to shift my MX-5 before bringing anymore metal onto the driveway !!

Comment

60s beetles are few and far between in Ireland. Especially pre '67 6v beetles. Still plenty of 70s beetles around thankfully.

Comment

Welcome to Eircooled Mark. Nice bit of history there growing up with aiccooled cars

Comment

Originally posted by Rez View Post
                Welcome to Eircooled Mark. Nice bit of history there growing up with aiccooled cars
                Thanks for the welcome !

Comment

Originally posted by trev View Post
                  60s beetles are few and far between in Ireland. Especially pre '67 6v beetles. Still plenty of 70s beetles around thankfully.
                  I kinda really like this ! Any thoughts ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-...eetle/20745330

Comment

Car needs some work
                    that could mean ANYTHING!!!! like it needs a set of spark plugs or it needs a full body off resto!!

you'd want to check it above and below thoroughly, like you would with any beetle TBH

Comment

Welcome to Eircooled Mark. Really nice selection you have and a nice history of VeeDubs behind you too.
                      Sorry to hear about your brother but hopefully you'll continue his legacy of fine aircooled VWs. Best of luck with your search and don't forget there are enough of us scattered around the country to check one out for you if you can't make it.
                      www.mustbook.ie

www.volksworld.com

www.carbsandchrome.com

Comment

Originally posted by Coxy View Post
                        Welcome to Eircooled Mark. Really nice selection you have and a nice history of VeeDubs behind you too.
                        Sorry to hear about your brother but hopefully you'll continue his legacy of fine aircooled VWs. Best of luck with your search and don't forget there are enough of us scattered around the country to check one out for you if you can't make it.
                        Very much appreciated and thanks !

Comment

Welcome along Mark
                          sounds like you will fit right in.

Comment

Originally posted by RattyOval View Post
                            Welcome along Mark
                            sounds like you will fit right in.
                            Thank you kindly Sir !

Comment

Welcome Mark, don't get a beetle. It's a trap. They all are .
                              ​​​​​​Only joking (kind of)

I'm very fond of a MK2 I must say.

Comment

Working...
                              X