Guten Tag aus Cork

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drifterex View Post
    Welcome Mark, don't get a beetle. It's a trap. They all are .
    ​​​​​​Only joking (kind of)

I'm very fond of a MK2 I must say.
    Well, regarding a trap, I'm still doing the research and trying to get my head around the finer points of aircooled VW ownership !! To be honest, I'm making sure it's something that I really want to do rather than a regretful fad.

That red Beetle looks very tasty ! Is it yours ?

Comment

With any old car rust is the killer, both of the car and your wallet so try and get the best one you can find for your budget. Easier said than done I accept but you can still find reasonably good project VWs out there. There are lots of VWs on the road that you could buy for a few quid more so you'd know they're mechanically spot on or you stump up for a fully restored VW.

What you need to be aware of is the lack of restoration parts available. People will quote lines like you can pick up a set of wings for €100 and doors are cheap but that's not the case any longer. Doors are at a premium, if you can find them as are front and rear quarter panels. Spurious wings aren't a perfect fit but you can work with them. The supply has dried up from Mexico now that production has finished so take all that into consideration when looking at a Beetle.
      www.mustbook.ie

www.volksworld.com

www.carbsandchrome.com

Comment

Originally posted by Coxy View Post
        With any old car rust is the killer, both of the car and your wallet so try and get the best one you can find for your budget. Easier said than done I accept but you can still find reasonably good project VWs out there. There are lots of VWs on the road that you could buy for a few quid more so you'd know they're mechanically spot on or you stump up for a fully restored VW.

What you need to be aware of is the lack of restoration parts available. People will quote lines like you can pick up a set of wings for €100 and doors are cheap but that's not the case any longer. Doors are at a premium, if you can find them as are front and rear quarter panels. Spurious wings aren't a perfect fit but you can work with them. The supply has dried up from Mexico now that production has finished so take all that into consideration when looking at a Beetle.
        Thanks for the detailed and honest answer. Food for thought indeed.
        I currently have a '92 MX5 which I hope to be selling shortly. Beetle ownership would be no doubt more maintenance intensive so I need to make sure that is the path that I want to go down. Having older motorbikes, time and money gets stretched as it is !!

Comment

I wouldn't say they're more maintenance intensive, in fact, if you get a good one then they are so simple to own. If you simply stay on top of the regular maintenance like you would with any car; brakes, servicing, oil, tyres etc, you'll be laughing. My answer above relates to buying a project, and a project on different budgets. If you can sell the MX5 then you might be able to add that €€€€ to your piggy bank and buy a restored or well minded original Beetle. Many of the folks here have had their Beetle for years and apart from regular servicing, they didn't have to do anything else to them. Obviously storing indoors is a bonus which will keep the dreaded tinworm away.
          The aircooled scene is a great one with fantastic friendships made from it and there is ALWAYS someone close by and willing to help.

What is your budget? Is it a restoration project you want?
          www.mustbook.ie

www.volksworld.com

www.carbsandchrome.com

Comment

Have done restos with other cars over the years (and bikes), I would be hoping to avoid something full on I think. Some minor work, no problem. Mechanical work I can do myself but I'm no panel beater so that would have to be farmed out so hence me wanting to avoid bodywork.Unfortunately, Mk1 MX5's are not making massive money at the present, despite them getting older and decent ones getting a bit more scarce. Would it be realistic to buy something not needing massive body work and usable for ~ €6k.....perhaps something in need of a minor refresh but not serious rust repair ? Or am I way off target ?

Comment

No, not way off at all. You'd definitely pick up something for in or around that money that would need work, how much depends on each car.
              www.mustbook.ie

www.volksworld.com

www.carbsandchrome.com

Comment

What would one pay for something not needing work, €9 to 10k ?

Comment

$30,000 according to that auction the other day

Click image for larger version

Name:	$30k Beetle Sothebys Arizona Jan 2019 (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	388175
                  www.mustbook.ie

www.volksworld.com

www.carbsandchrome.com

Comment

Yikes ! Bank robbery and extortion here I come.........I may as well hold out for a Karmann Ghia at that rate !!

Comment

Originally posted by airhead_eire View Post
                      What would one pay for something not needing work, €9 to 10k ?
                      that's a decent budget for a really good '70s Beetle, a pretty good early '60s one, a project oval or a teabag split bug!!
                      There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Comment

Well, regarding a trap, I'm still doing the research and trying to get my head around the finer points of aircooled VW ownership !! To be honest, I'm making sure it's something that I really want to do rather than a regretful fad.

That red Beetle looks very tasty ! Is it yours ?
                        Yeah, red one is mine. Looks better in pictures than real life I'm afraid. It's in the middle of a body off chassis repair at the minute. I've had it nearly five years, body is very good , but chassis was ropey at best and the time has come to sort it. Needs a lot of work but that's part of the territory.

you definitely won't regret buying one though, nothing like the feeling of driving them regardless of condition of work needed

Comment

Cork Harbour taken from Camden...….are you local to there?

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                            Cork Harbour taken from Camden...….are you local to there?
                            I'm in the city outskirts but not a long drive to Camden. Well spotted !

Comment

I'm in the city outskirts but not a long drive to Camden. Well spotted !
                              We live a stones throw across the tide. My kids go to school down there and the view faces you as you leave the GAA pitch...…No hiding in a small town

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post

We live a stones throw across the tide. My kids go to school down there and the view faces you as you leave the GAA pitch...…No hiding in a small town
                                Nice place to be indeed !! Beetle driver ?

Comment

Working...
                                X