Vw 1977 pick up single cab barn find

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    The VW has three refurbed wheels and new tyres . The fourth tomorrow.
    Tried starting it today with a new battery , new fuel but no joy. Everytime i turned the key the two wheels with the fan belt moved one notch . Nothing more than one notch every time. I presume it means the pistons are tight but not seized. Any ideas ?.
    The mechanic has left me down so will have to try and get someone new.
    Think i might have to get a tow truck to take it to a new garage guy.

Comment

try to turn the crank with a spanner on the bottom pulley. Be gentle though, if a valve is stuck open you could bend it. Once you know it's turning two full rotations without any tight spots then you should check the oil level, top it up if necessary, pour a teaspoonful of fuel down the carb and try cranking again with the battery. It'll only fire if you have fuel, spark and compression and any engine that's been sitting for years should, by rights, be given a thorough checking over to make sure all the ignition components are present and working, that you're getting fresh fuel to the carb and that it's got compression. Simply trying to start a dormant engine by cranking on the starter motor and hoping for the best could actually cause damage unnecessarily.
      There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Comment

Ok thanks for that . It's still sitting in field with four newly refurbished wheels awaiting collection. Possibly monday now.

Comment

The VW was picked up today so now the hard work begins. Instead of taking to garage , I have decided to do all the work myself. I am going to remove engine and clean it and strip if necessary. Also will do all the engine bay first before re-installing.
          Attached Files

Comment

Cool! Now the fun starts!!
            There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Comment

Very cool! Best of luck with it
              Barry

#OBBSS

Comment

An original Irish pickup survivor! Impressive. Goes to show they are still out there.

We got a cover manufactured for our crew cab by these guys, they are based up in Maghera in Derry:

https://www.cunninghamcovers.ie/

Looking forward to what comes next!

Comment

Nice find, best of luck with the recommissioning.
                  I purchased a canvas from nlavw for my crewcab, not cheap but i was very happy with the fit.

Comment

Working...
                  X