Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Beetle.

Hello all!
    i'm going to have another attempt at doing a thread for my Beetle.i tried a few times before,but had loads of bother trying to upload pictures,because of really slow internet here,and i'm not to handy with the computer either..
    heres a few pictures from the ad on Eircooled where i saw the car first..

well that was three or four years ago now.i rang the owner,Barry(baz 76,on here)and went to view it.i was just what i was looking for,so i put a deposit on it,and my brother trailored it home from Wexford to galway the next week.it was a kind of an unfinished project.it came with an unfitted 2.1 engine,Rancho pro street gearbox,Webber40's,CSP wide 5 disk brake kit,and loads of other lovely bits and pieces.i was happy out!
    Last edited by whatucolm; 26-12-2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

heres a pic of the engine as i got it.i painted up some tin ware for it,fitted an external oil filter anp pump cover,solid pushrods,bolt together rocker shafts,petronix ignition,and bugpack ceramic coated exhaust system

Comment

oh ya,it had a Bugpack(i think)deep sump too.
        heres a picture of the engine put together and fitted-it was a bit of a squeeze!

Comment

i made up a few brackets from aluminium for the oil filter,oil breather thingy,and put some holes in the inner wings,to make the carbs easier to adjust(allegedly)

Last edited by whatucolm; 29-12-2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

probablly not great having the oil hoses going through the bumper bracket,but i wasn't intending fitting bumpers.
            big dirty heavy exhaust can now fitted too..

Comment

this is the CSP wide 5 brake kit the car came with-it also had ajusters in the front beam.the rear was at standard height.

these are the wheels the car came with.not the sexiest things on the planet!

so i bought two new Mangle 5.5" 356 look steels for the front,and got four 7"(ish) banded steels for the back-well two spares and two for the back!

Comment

being a cheap-skate,i considered dickying up the origionals with bits of an old drumkit...until i had visions of small children being sliced in half if they ever fell off when i was driving..not good-so i had to splash out on e-bay.

Comment

these are the bandad steels i got on e-bay.they were kind of rough,but i got them sandblasted,and with a bid of grinding/filling/painting,they looked better.

i painted them BMW metallic purple,but was not totally happy with them.they looked much darker than i expected,whan on the car.

two out of three cats preferr deep dish!

Comment

this is how it stood at the back-so it was time totwist those trailing arms around.

i over-did it on my first attempt- B@st*rd!. not much fun doin it twice..

Comment

got dropped spindles for the front too,and it looked like this-

front wheels rubbing thr wings on any kind of tight turn tho..

Comment

i also got some guages from cip1 in America.oil temp,oil pressure,volts and a rev counter.made a little plate to hold the small ones in the radio opening,and the rev counter in the speaker grill on the right-no tunes for this car-suppose i'll just have to listen to the engine..

Last edited by whatucolm; 31-12-2012, 12:42 AM.

Comment

ohh this brings back memories colm ! nice to see to trusty old 405 dturbo having a well earned rest in the backround, that was a bit of an epic 24 hours involved in getting the bug home from scotland

Comment

i think that 405 must be an honourary vdub at this stage Barry-i remember you callin up with it,with no passenger seats,filled to the gills with what looked like the makings of two or three beetles!

Comment

LOL was like that a good few times colm,including the trip back from scotland with the 64 on an A frame. justin might have a pic of it with a vw engine hanging out the back of it ! raging i got rid of that car

anyways sorry for the hijack, the 64 is still looking good

Comment

Working...
                              X