Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

1966/1967 beetle parts wanted

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Only for the cabrio lid with rain catchers. Regular 67 lids aren't too expensive. ;)

jim1500

June 1, 2007
Wings are standard ->67 ones dude, but as I'm sure ya know decklid and doors are 67 only. If you know what you're at might be able to modify a 66 door but I wouldn't recommend it!
Any pre 67 (long) bonnet will also do, the only real difference in a 67 one is that the chrome trim (and therefore clips and clip holes) is narrower.
Keep an eye out on www.volkszone.co.uk
There have been quite a few lids popping up on www.ebay.co.uk latly.
I got one from Volksheaven a couple of monthes ago, they had more as did RCC Import.

Good luck with the search

crispyd

February 27, 2008
South Kilkenny, Lurgan Co.Armagh
looking at some manuals the door locks and striker plates are the same from August 1966-August 1970 and it looks like the doors are too. As yet i am not too sure about the handles as i think there could be some subtle differences or maybe not.

crispyd

February 27, 2008
Don't take my word for it
Im sorry but i cant when the official VW manuals are telling me different.
I haven't seen the differences myself as i have nothing really to compare with, (only Jan 67 bits) but i am sure there are people out there with previous personal experience with this issue, (maybe you are one of them) and i hope to get more clarity on this so as i don't buy the wrong doors unknowingly. I will just have to pay close attention to the type of locks on the doors so as they match my own. :)

jim1500

June 1, 2007
I've had a 67 for 12years and had the joys of searching for panels to bring it back to original spec!
ANORAK ON..........................

The 67 is a mixture of pre 66 and 68 on bits.
The door looks basically the same as a 65/66 (although there are differences in finger plates, on a 65).
A 66/67 door handle has a round push button as opposed to the earlier square button, or the later trigger type.
65/66 when you lock it the handle simply locks (ie you can't push the buton in) similar to earlier cars and they have no internal door button.
A 67 has an internal button which is pulled down when you lock the door....... the system is almost identical to 68 on (but i tried a 67 handle with later mechanism and it didn't work)
A 68 on door will fit your car, close, lock and do everything it should, but will have the trigger style handle ( a lot of 67s have later doors fitted as they are easier to come by, mine had a later drivers door when I bought it).

Hope this helps!!!!

crispyd

February 27, 2008
I've had a 67 for 12years and had the joys of searching for panels to bring it back to original spec!

The door looks basically the same as a 65/66 (although there are differences in finger plates, on a 65).
A 66/67 door handle has a round push button as opposed to the earlier square button, or the later trigger type.
65/66 when you lock it the handle simply locks (ie you can't push the buton in) similar to earlier cars and they have no internal door button.
A 67 has an internal button which is pulled down when you lock the door....... the system is almost identical to 68 on (but i tried a 67 handle with later mechanism and it didn't work)
A 68 on door will fit your car, close, lock and do everything it should, but will have the trigger style handle ( a lot of 67s have later doors fitted as they are easier to come by, mine had a later drivers door when I bought it).

Hope this helps!!!!

Thanks for that it's nice to have input from someone with hands on experience. This will help me no end and i hope it will help others looking for similar answers. :)

Roadcow

Father Eircooled! , Eircooled Club Member
Club Member
November 2, 2006
California/Portrush
www.roadcow.com

Hope this helps!!!!

Jim just loves it when someone comes up to his car and right off says " those aren't the right door handles" even though they are! j/k