Welcome to Eircooled
Our Ethos is simple; We promote, maintain, and encourage the use of classic aircooled vehicles. We run the club in an open, inclusive, and democratic environment. We encourage all members to have an equal say and part to play in the club.
Register

Donor Beatle

D

donal94

I'm looking for a cheap donor beatle for a beach buggy project, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

JustinOval

Super Super Super
Admin
November 9, 2006
Isn't that a 1302 though? If it is it'll need some fancy fabricating on the front end to support the struts.

D

donal94

Ah I don't think I'd fancy that to be honest. I was hoping to get a Bug with torsion bar suspension so it'd be more straighforward. Thanks

Endfloat

Club Member
Club Member
October 25, 2006
Deansgrange
www.youtube.com
No you're right Justin. The suspension collapses when the body is taken off cause the suspension struts mount to the inner wheel arch.

Will one of these beatles do?
Beatles.jpg

D

donal94

No I don't think I can use one of these ones without a lot of fabrication. Thanks a lot for the help.

D

donal94

Thanks a lot though, if anyone has any other suggestions I'd appreciate it.

george

Club Member
Club Member
March 20, 2007
Galway
www.gacurley.com
Yeah I have the bug at the moment - yeah you have to replace the full mcpherson struts with a framehead from a normal beetle, its more work

Dazza, could you get the V5 for that chassis so we mgiht be able to do something like this with it

George

ex-2cv-er

November 3, 2006
Tipp North
www.type2ireland.org
Donal, are you looking for a whole beetle, or just a rolling chassis with a log book?

If you're going the whole beetle route, have you decided what you're going to do with the redundant body, interior etc?

You might be better off just looking for a chassis, so you don't have the hassle of dealing with removing the body off it and disposing of it etc?

Does it need to have engine in place...?

I'll keep my ears open, but useable *whole* scrap beetles are going up in price and getting harder to find one that doesn't need huge amounts of work.

H

hetherton

hello i have a 1962 donor beetle for sale, it has a solid floor pan and the engine is perfect.

Gritz

Club Member
Club Member
January 10, 2008
Tipperary
i also have the chassis from this sitting here

beetle0106001.jpg

with body and floors removed, tax book included and a set of new floorpans, its been sat a while but could be an ideal starting point, and you dont have to worry about getting rid of a knackered body either..
based near thurles